St. Giles Anglican Church - Addition
St.Giles Anglican Church is a prominent building in the downtown Estevan skyline. This beautiful church was built in 1919 and dedicated on Oct. 3, 1920. The growth and expansion of membership lead the church to start the design process with WCSI in late 2011. The design intent was to create an integrated extension of the original facade. Incorporating the original architectural features and materials in the new addition was a key element in the design process. Renovation plans include plumbing and electrical updates, additional office space, and community meeting hall expansion.
Although the addition is structurally independent of the original church structure, the overal design works as a single entity. The task of coordinating and ensuring that these structures work in unison while maintaining the desired architectural conditions required many inventive solutions in the design and construction process. The expansion should ideally be considered an enhancement of the original building, providing an increased quality and amount of space, while maintaining a relationship to the original form.